Monday 17 March 2014

Hillarys Blinds Country Crafts Competition Entry






When I saw on Craft Blog UK that Hillarys Blinds had launched a competition for craft bloggers, I thought it would be the ideal chance to throw myself into a sewing project for the first time in... well, about a year! The brief was simple - choose a sample from their new Country Retreats fabric range, make an original design, and write a blog post about it.



This beautiful fabric, 'Bird Parade' leapt out at me straight away, especially as it would give me the perfect excuse to make and paint a peacock button to go with it, so all I needed was to decide what to make.

The next day I was at work - I work in a large college - and it was pouring with rain. We sell Pink Pig sketchbooks (made in Huddersfield - I love them), and I was trying to find a large carrier bag for a student, who was upset that her portfolio had not only got wet, but was getting repeatedly bent at the corners from being carried back and forth to college every day. I'd just stocked up on fresh sketchbooks myself the day before, and so it hit me - I'd make an A3 sketchbook folder, to protect my Pink Pig when out and about!

So I used my shiny new Pink Pig to sketch out a design...


...And visited my local market to buy delicious ribbon and cotton thread. As I was waiting to pay I admired a huge carousel of stunning embroidery threads, and it gave me an idea for adding embellishment to the back of the folder.



Using my sketchbook as a guide, I cut my peacock fabric and the inside grey cotton to size. The Hillarys fabric was already nice and thick, so I just added fusible interfacing to the lining fabric, and then used spray starch to give both pieces some extra structure. 

Someone decided to 'help', of course!


Before I could start sewing I needed to add the embellishment to what would become the back of the folder. I settled on a large, sweeping peacock feather design. This is where I was nearly defeated, because it turned from what I thought would be a couple of hours' worth of embroidery into fourteen hours' work over the space of two days! I was worried I wouldn't be able to finish the project before the deadline, but I took my embroidery hoop to work with me and put my lunch breaks to good use.



After that there was lots of pinning, a bit of arm flapping as I got nervous about running the fabric through my sewing machine, and eventually the project came together. I made the button and enjoyed using fluorescent blue paints to give Mr. Peacock a bit of grandeur.


I added a magnetic popper as a fastening, which was interesting as I've never used one before...


I knew I wanted to add quite a bold rosette to the front of the piece to make it look like the feathers on my handmade button were extending outwards. The latest issue of Mollie Makes provided me with an idea for making a rosette out of felt, so with a little improvisation I had what I wanted. 


I gave the finished folder a last spray of starch so it can easily be wiped clean.





Phew! It was great to get stuck into a sewing project for the first time in a while, and it was good to remind myself of the importance of taking my time in ironing and re-ironing my fabrics, measuring, and paying attention to getting nice straight hems - something I've always struggled with! I love using bird and animal motifs in my crafts so using one of my buttons allowed me to add in some extra personality.

Now my beloved Pink Pig sketchbook won't be getting wet and bent next time I'm on the move!

You can see the other fabrics that were available to choose from for the competition here

Have a crafty week!


22 comments:

  1. I am pretty much drooling over how pretty this is. Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Anna that is gorgeous! Well done wish I could have it now :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's stunning, Anna! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's stunning. What a fab creative idea x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so beautiful. What a fab idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely beautiful! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spectacular! The button and medallion are terrific, the pattern-matching and workmanship are first-rate, and the embroidery puts it over the top. I certainly hope you win, but even if you don't, you have created an heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your kind comments, everyone! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow - that embroidery detail is amazing! I love Pink Pig sketchbooks too - we sell then at the Uni I work at too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is lovely, it's a lovely feeling when you are inspired. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your entry is gorgeous! I also chose the Bird Parade fabric, who can resist pretty Peacocks?
    Good Luck, I still need to make mind!

    Hannah
    x
    daintyandivory.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. That embroidered peacock feather is gorgeous - well worth the time and effort! I love your peacock button too. I have a huge stash of fabric samples from when we were choosing curtain fabrics, and I've been meaning to turn them into things . . . one day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in love! That is beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness Anna- this is honestly one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen! You should be so proud of yourself- it's absolutely perfect. If you don't win, it's a fix.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous make - love the embroidery too... v impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have done a fantastic job, it looks stunning - Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so beautiful. now I have finished my piece I am looking at the other creations.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so beautiful, it definitely deserved a prize! The work on that button and the embroidered feather is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these designs! My daughters can take a good lesson from you for creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great, very talented!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!