#PostCircle is a group where we send and receive lovely post... just because!
This is how it works:
- If you would like to be a member of #postcircle email me at email@example.com. I will then send you a speedy survey about the things that make you happy. Please include your first and surname in your email.
- You will be added to a group of six, or as near as I can make it. I decided to form sub-groups so that I'm not giving out, say fifty addresses to fifty different people, and I can keep track of things more easily.
- You can post to whoever you like in your group. The idea is that every time you receive some post, you then send some post out. This keeps things moving.
- In emailing me to take part you agree that myself and others in your group will have your address, and you theirs. I promise that I will not use your address for anything other than #PostCircle (ie, selling it to nasty spammy marketing companies) and you agree to the same.
- When you receive post it's time to send something out. You don't have to post to the person who sent you post, you can send it to anyone in your circle. And don't panic and think you have to post something that day!
- Please write #postcircle on each piece of post you send.
- If you don't receive any post for, say, three months, bob me an email and I will do a shoutout to your group to get things going again.
- You can of course leave #postcircle any time. Just email.
- Your nice post can be anything you like, but please don't feel any pressure to 'spend money' on your post. A postcard, a handwritten note, a full-blown letter, an autumn leaf, a sweet button you found in your stash or a photo of that cheerful-looking frog you met on your walk yesterday are all great. #PostCircle isn't designed to rack up huge costs in 'gifts' to others. If you choose to spend money on a cuddly zebra because you know someone in your group loves them, that's wonderful and generous, but it is your choice and no one is under any pressure to match your spending. The idea is just to receive something thoughtful and lovely in the post on a regular basis, not to make yourself bankrupt. Remember that the cost of a stamp is a thought in itself!
- International members - I will try to accommodate you but as yet I can't promise until I know how many UK members are willing to spend the extra posting abroad. Please do register your interest and I will come back to you when I know more.
- You don't have to wait to receive some post before you send some out, but please do send some out for every one you receive.
Please think carefully before committing to joining. Some people get excited by the idea of #PostCircle and sign up, but then don’t actually write, which is unfair on the whole group and to me as well – each application takes me eight emails to process. If you’re unsure whether you have the time, please reconsider joining.
#PostCircle is not my only job! When applications are open it takes me around an hour a day to keep #PostCircle running. That’s replying to emails, processing applications, sending out change of address notifications, grouping members with similar personalities and keeping my records up to date. I do this around my full time job, running a business, writing a blog, and a very full diary. Therefore I ask you to be patient when waiting to be grouped, and please don’t send me angry emails – this is a service I provide for free, and in my own time. It’s nice to be nice.
If your group isn’t working out or if people aren’t writing back, please do feel free to send me an email to let me know. I will then send a polite ‘courtesy’ email around the group to check all is well and try and get things moving again. Angry complaints and throwing toys out of the pram are not appreciated – I cannot control how well your group works, but will always do my best to group similar interests together and make sure everyone is happy.
A number of other post groups have started up since #PostCircle. That's fine by me - the more happy post the better - but please don't use the #PostCircle name or hashtag. It confuses current members and I've even had emails asking to join groups that I don't even know about!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join in!