Monday 24 September 2012

Lavender Shortbread Recipe


If you're keen to hang onto the memories of summer (eh? what summer?) or just fancy making use of the last of your lavender flowers from the garden, lavender shortbread always goes down well, I find. It's not at all flowery or over-powering, in fact it's more like a delicate after-taste, and this buttery recipe is the one that convinced me that shortbread is far from dry and boring.




You will need:

125g caster sugar
350g butter, room temp.
4 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
4g fresh chopped lavender
325g plain flour
Pinch of salt
65g cornflour

Cream together the butter, caster sugar and icing sugar until light and fluffy (this is always my favourite bit because the transformation is magical!) Next, mix in the lavender. 

Mix the flour, cornflour and salt, add into the butter mixture and combine together. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and pop in the fridge to firm up for around an hour. 

Preheat the oven to 180C. Forget the rolling pin - pop your dough onto a greased flat baking tray and flatten it using your fingers so it forms a round, about 5-7mm thick. Use a fork or a finger to mark round the edges, or make any pattern you wish.

Pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until your shortbread is beginning to look golden. 

Leave it to cool for half an hour before cutting into individual biscuits. You could sprinkle some caster sugar and extra lavender on for decoration.



These biscuits make a great offering for an afternoon tea party, posh snack with a cuppa in front of the telly, or a present for someone lovely.

Have a sweet day,




12 comments:

  1. Must give this a try - sounds (and looks) delicious.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this looks divine! Thank you for sharing the recipe.
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourites, Victoria. Something so homely about shortbread! x

      Delete
  3. Looks lovely Anna! I love shortbread but haven't tried the lavender kind xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lavender is very subtle, and reminds me a little of parma violets. x

      Delete
  4. Dear Anna
    I love shortbread, with or without lavender. It works really well with a creamy dessert such as a syllabub, too. Yum. I think I need to go and make some now...
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A brilliant idea, Ellie! Plain shortbread with banana syllabub - definitely going to give that a bash :) x

      Delete
  5. This looks mouthwatering! You should write a recipe book Anna, filled with your beautiful photographs! I had a lavender hot chocolate a few days ago, and I have a sneaky suspicion it'd go very well with this! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had lavender hot chocolate, sounds amazing! Whittards of Chelsea have some gorgeous sounding hot chocolate flavours in this year, a bonus of the colder months. x

      Delete
  6. Oooh what a pretty bake! I have filed it in my recipes to try favourites. A lovely thing to bake for a girly tea party. Ive never tried 'eating' lavender, but it seems to be the popular thing at the moment so I must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lavender (the smell and flavour). I've got a bit of a thing for 'perfume' tastes such as Rose and violet creams, Parma violets and anything lavender flavoured. I have tasted lavender shortbread and cake before but never tried making it. This is definitely going on my list of things to do!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!