Friday 28 September 2012

Cath Kidston 'Make Your Dream Room in a Shoebox' Competition Entry


Oh friends, why oh why do I give myself these challenges?! When I spotted on the Cath Kidston website early last week that they were holding a challenge to create your dream room in a shoebox, well, it felt like I couldn't not enter. Competitions where you get to make something in floral in a tiny scale don't come along very often, after all! Never mind that my to-do list was growing by the day and that I started a new job this week, I set about finding myself a shoe box and getting stuck in. The results are not to the standard and detail I usually like to employ in these projects, but here is my entry in any case.








Despite not leaving myself very much time I always love these sorts of projects, using the initial ideas I jot down and then adding others in as the scene develops and starts to tell its own story. The little china dog turns up in many of my miniature projects, but think he'll find his final home in that 1940s house I hope to create one day. I can see him with a new sign around his neck that reads, 'Wot no bananas!'

And I'll definitely be making more mini teepees in the future!




14 comments:

  1. It's so cute, I love all your attention to detail x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Anna :) I saw this competition a while ago, but didn't think I had the skills to do something so small and detailed! What a perfect comp for you though! Good luck, I hope you win! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw the competition I thought of you! I'm so glad you made an entry, it's so cute and perfect :-)

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely! Where do you find those little trinkets?! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - every now and again I do a shout out to friends, colleagues etc. to have a clear out of broken/unwanted costume jewellery, then I find other pieces at charity shops and car boots; it's never expensive! For this project I used a scarf clip I got for 49p, an old watch face that had been donated, and the pink rose buttons on the wall were free with Mollie Makes a few issues back. You'll be surprised what you get when you ask! x

      Delete
  6. Looking for inspiration in the blogsphera vintage find your blog! wonderful! It's like a delicious cake of colors! your houses are... great! I love it! kssss from Spain, and I invite you to visit my web small in Spain, the name, in English, is "the club of Royal women" and follow you!
    www.clubmujeresreales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wish you and I could have been friends when we were growing up. I used to adore creating all kinds of fanciful, delightful rooms (akin - in a much more rudimentary way) like this for my Barbies and other small toys to play in, and to think day I still find myself drawn to beautiful doll houses and small scale scenes. Few have ever come close though to be as expressly lovely as this Cath themed on is though. I shall be keeping my fingers crossed so very tightly that you win, dear Anna.

    Thank you very much for your insightful, beautiful comment on my tenets of happy crafting post today. I sincerely appreciate it and hope you're having a splendid weekend.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica - with our shared love of guinea pigs and life in miniature I'm positive we would have been brilliant childhood friends! x

      Delete
  8. This is great! I LOVE the one you made for your Nan, super idea! You've got a great blog, I've enjoyed looking through it! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ada, I really enjoy drooling over your blog too, how I wish more vintage fabrics would tumble into my life every now and again! Thank you for following, too. x

      Delete
  9. Oh I saw this competition and was determined to make one myself (or with my kiddies) but I never got around to it. Maybe I will do one eventually. Your entry is fantastic and sure to gain praise from the judges. My fave bit is the wool and knitting needles!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!